Search engine site ABC Engine

USA History articles page

USA History page desription

On this page you see USA History page description, Site pages hyperlinks, USA History articles, Add site to search engine offer.

Site pages hyperlinks

Internet search page Blog page Make search query page Subscribe page About money in USA page Religion in USA page USA Transport page USA History articles page Ecomerce page Donate page Support page Contact us page

USA History article

USA History articles list hyperlink

Plymouth, Connecticut

HistoryEdit The community was incorporated in 1795,[4] and became known nationally for the manufacture of clocks.[1] The town was named after Plymouth, Massachusetts.[5]Plymouth (formerly Northbury, a section of Waterbury]) was originally used as a burying ground for Waterbury. History records show that it was founded by a group of people who believed they found a large deposit of lead. This fabled "lead mine" never actually existed (or is still yet to be discovered). The oldest home in the community is on Route 6, and dates to 1690-1700. In the 1790s, George Washington traveled through here, both to visit relatives and to stay away from the coastline. The Terry family participated in a great deal of Plymouth's history. Eli Terry became partners with Seth Thomas (clockmaker) and Silas Hoadley to manufacture clocks in the Greystone section of town. Eli gave the factory to Hoadley and Thomas, and opened his own clock factory near Carter Road in Plymouth Center, while Thomas moved to Plymouth Hollow. Eli Terry, Jr. (son of Eli Terry) joined with another man who was interested in the cabinet and lock industry and they opened Eagle Lock Company. In the 1880s, the Plymouth Hollow section of Plymouth decided to split off and become their own town called Thomaston, Connecticut, named after Seth Thomas (clockmaker). The Eagle Lock Company closed in the 1970s and later, in 1975, the entire abandoned site burned, leaving one building left undamaged. The rest of the buildings were torn down or had floors removed. The Main Street School was located on the green, or Baldwin Park, in Terryville. It was demolished in the 1930s and the new Terryville High School was constructed behind the green on North Main Street. In the mid-2000s, Prospect Street School and Main Street School (previously called East Main Street) were left abandoned, so the construction of the new Terryville High School could begin in the Holt section of town. The Harry S. Fisher Middle School was turned into the Harry S. Fisher Elementary School and the old Terryville High School was turned into the Eli Terry Jr. Middle School.[6]

Add site to search engine offer

To add your site to Search engine site ABC Engine click here to go to Add site to Search engine site ABC Engine offer page. This offer used for commercial grow of this site in USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Asia.

© abcengine.orgfree.com