Search engine site ABC Engine

USA History articles page

USA History page desription

On this page you see USA History page description, Site pages hyperlinks, USA History articles, Add site to search engine offer.

Site pages hyperlinks

Internet search page Blog page Make search query page Subscribe page About money in USA page Religion in USA page USA Transport page USA History articles page Ecomerce page Donate page Support page Contact us page

USA History article

USA History articles list hyperlink

Auburn, New York

HistoryEdit Auburn, New York (1909), by William Bruce (1861–1911) The Auburn Works in 1907 State Street in 1910 The region around Auburn had been Haudenosaunee territory for centuries before European contact and historical records. Auburn was founded in 1793, during the post-Revolutionary period of settlement of western New York. The founder, John L. Hardenbergh, was a veteran of the Sullivan-Clinton campaign against the Iroquois during the American Revolution. Hardenbergh settled in the vicinity of the Owasco River with his infant daughter and two African-American slaves, Harry and Kate Freeman. After his death in 1806, Hardenbergh was buried in Auburn's North Street Cemetery, and was re-interred in 1852 in Fort Hill Cemetery – the first burial in the city's newly opened burial ground. The community grew up around Hardenbergh's gristmill and sawmill.[3] Originally known as Hardenbergh's Corners in the town of Aurelius, the settlement was renamed Auburn in 1805 when it became the county seat.[4] It became an incorporated village in 1815, and was chartered as a city in 1848. It was only a few miles from the Erie Canal, which opened in 1825 and allowed local factories to inexpensively ship goods north or south. In 1871, the Southern Central Railroad, financed by the Lehigh Valley Railroad, completed a line primarily to carry coal from Athens, Pennsylvania, through Auburn towharves on Lake Ontario at Fair Haven.[5] From 1818 to 1939, Auburn was home to Auburn Theological Seminary, once one of the preeminent theological seminaries in the United States. In 1939, facing financial difficulties as a result of the Great Depression, the seminary moved to the campus of Union Theological Seminary in New York City. The only building from the Auburn Theological Seminary that stands today is Willard Memorial Chapel and the adjacent Welch Memorial Hall on Nelson Street, designed by Andrew Jackson Warner of Rochester, with stained-glass windows and interior decoration by Louis Comfort Tiffany. It is the only complete and unaltered Tiffany chapel interior known to exist. In 1816, Auburn Prison (now the Auburn Correctional Facility) was founded as a model for the contemporary ideas about treating prisoners, known now as the Auburn system. Visitors were charged a fee for viewing the facility and its inmates. On August 6, 1890, the first execution by the electric chair was carried out at Auburn Prison. In 1901 Leon Czolgosz, assassin of President William McKinley, was executed there. Although the ideas of the Auburn System have been abandoned, the prison continues to serve as a maximum security facility, and is one of the most secure prisons in the continental United States.

Add site to search engine offer

To add your site to Search engine site ABC Engine click here to go to Add site to Search engine site ABC Engine offer page. This offer used for commercial grow of this site in USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Asia.

© abcengine.orgfree.com